Road ID Wrist ID Sport Review

 
 

Sent to you by GADET via Google Reader:

 
 

via The Gadgeteer by Andy Jacobs on 11/19/10

A while back I posted a news item for the Wrist ID Sport by Road ID, which displays emergency contact information for fitness enthusiasts.  I thought it looked cool and was a great product idea.  At the time, I had been doing quite a bit of outdoor running, so I ordered one and tried it out.

Background

As I mentioned above, back in summer 2010 I had been running outdoors almost every day, sometimes on a paved trail near my home, but mostly on country back roads over my lunch hour at work.   Most of the roads were minimally traveled by motorized traffic, but a few were busier, with car, pickup truck and sometimes larger vehicles.  Occasionally one would fail to slow down, or to slide over to give me some room, and every time that happened it made me think, "What if I got tagged by one of these near-misses?"  On my person I carried my iPhone (which would be password locked) and my work ID badge (to get back into the building), but neither seemed sufficient in an emergency, especially if I wound up lying in a ditch or field alone and unconscious, or worse.  I didn't really want to carry my wallet or some emergency information card, and a MedicAlert-style bracelet wasn't really my style.  I wanted something that displayed information that would be vital for getting help to me in an emergency.  About a year prior, I'd seen a Road ID ad in a fitness magazine, so I checked out their website, then ordered their original Wrist ID Sport product.

Ordering Process

The Road ID web site, in addition to being the place where you order your Road ID product, also contains lots of other interesting information like an "our story" section, testimonials from users of Road ID products, an event calendar and sponsorship section.  When ordering any of the ID products at the Road ID site, the process begins with "building your ID."  The site prompts you through a series of steps to choose the type, color and size of Road ID product you want,  and gather information to personalize your Road ID.  A cool thing here is that as you add or edit information that you want on your bracelet tag, it is displayed on the screen exactly the way it will look when you receive it.

Outside the Package

The shipping package is fairly straightforward, a simple bubble envelope.  However, is it customized with Road ID branding on front and back and it is worth noting that the back of the envelope has a short explanation about why the company was founded.  A nice touch.

Inside the Package

The contents of the bubble-envelope are:

  • Road ID Wrist ID Sport bracelet on cardboard backing
  • Story of Road ID, which includes some customer testimonials
  • Order information sheet
  • Road ID product catalog

The Product

I ordered Road ID's original product, the Wrist ID Sport, which is $19.99 plus shipping.  I thought it was a pretty fair price when I ordered it, and this was confirmed once I'd received it.  Its design is relatively simple: it is a bracelet with an identification plate and a velcro closure.  It is available in three sizes: Small, Medium-Large and Extra-Large, so that you can find one that is closest to your wrist size and in black, blue, red, yellow, pink and purple colors.  But I have to admit that I was bummed to not find it in green.  I ordered a yellow with the idea that it would provide the highest level of visibility.

The main band is a nylon material that is comfortable against the skin and washable in case you get it full of exercise funk.  There are also two strips of 3M Scotchlite reflective material stitched into band to provide increased visibility in lower light situations.  The stainless steel ID plate has a silver satin finish which hides smudges and reduces glare, and the lettering is laser-engraved so it is sharp and will not wear off.  It has a curved shape so it fits the contour of the wearer's wrist and is attached to the bracelet via a strip of elastic (see detail below).  Because the ID plate is stainless steel and due to its thickness, it is quite resistant to bending or denting that might occur during normal use.

During the ordering process, the Road ID site gave recommendations for what information to include on the ID plate.  I chose to have my full name, date of birth, city, state and country, my wife's name and mobile number, my dad's name and mobile number, my blood type, my drug allergy and that I am Catholic.

Road ID logos are generously placed throughout the product.  The fold-over velcro closure allows it to be adjusted to varying wrist sizes for comfort or wearer preference, and also features a rubber "tab" at the end.

In the image below you can see how the ID plate is attached.  It has two prongs on either end which hold onto a strip of elastic material.  The ID plate is held in place securely, but can be removed easily if the wearer needs to swap ID plates should your information change (replacement plates can be ordered from Road ID).

Actual Use

I ordered a Medium-Large sized Wrist ID Sport and it fits my wrist fine.  I like that it can be adjusted slightly, which allows me to wear it more loosely or tightly depending on my activity or preference.  I also noticed that as long as you don't wear it sloppy loose, it will stay oriented on your wrist.  Meaning that if you position it with the ID plate outward (or vice versa), it will generally stay put.

I wore the Wrist ID Sport for about a month while exercising, mostly outdoor running.  It performed well, was easy to use and felt quite comfortable on by wrist.  I then wore it non-stop for a period of about two weeks and again it performed well.  One drawback was that it absorbed quite a bit of water in the shower and took a while to dry.

Final Thoughts

The idea behind Road ID's products is to display important emergency contact information about the wearer to first responders in the event that the wearer is involved in an emergency situation.  In this, it is similar to a MedicAlert bracelet or similar product, but where the MedicAlert products have more of a jewelry style overall, Road ID's products have been designed for athletes and fitness enthusiasts, and their style reflects that.  The Wrist ID Sport displays important information to emergency responders, is durable, easy to use, affordable and looks sporty.

Filed in categories: Health Related Gadgets, Outdoor Gear

Tagged: ,

Road ID Wrist ID Sport Review originally appeared on The Gadgeteer on November 19, 2010 at 2:00 pm.


 
 

Things you can do from here: